For over 200 years we have been creating award-winning cultural, residential, commercial, community and infrastructure developments in cities across the world.
In the UK these include the Royal Opera House, Channel Tunnel, the Tate Modern – the world’s most visited modern art gallery, and the Library of Birmingham.
We have also created landmark buildings across the Middle East, including Oman’s parliament – the Majlis, and Royal Opera House, and the stunning Yas Viceroy hotel.
The places we create perform an essential role at the heart of the community. In Canada, these include the Brampton Civic Hospital, the High Falls Dam in Northern Ontario and numerous projects for the Vancouver International Airport Authority.
The history of Carillion traces to the companies that had become part of the Tarmac Group by the late 1990s: Tarmac Construction, Wimpey Construction, Cubitts and Mitchell Construction.
In 1999 the Tarmac Group demerged into a building materials company (‘Tarmac’) and a company focused on support services and construction services (‘Carillion’).
Since 1999, Carillion has gone on to acquire further well-known companies: Mowlem (acquired in 2006), Alfred McAlpine (acquired in 2008), Vanbots (acquired in 2008) and Eaga (acquired in 2011).
With increased size, Carillion has further developed our expertise in facilities management, energy services, and infrastructure services.
These, together with our construction services, ensure that we can provide fully integrated support services for buildings and infrastructure.
Here are just a few of the past projects from the companies that have become Carillion, listed by continent and country:
- 2012 – Olympic Media Centre, London (Carillion)
- 2007 – Channel Tunnel Rail Link to St Pancras, London (Carillion)
- 2006 – Twickenham Rugby Stadium, London (Mowlem)
- 2003 – Government Communications HQ, Cheltenham (Carillion)
- 2000 – Tate Modern, London (Carillion)
- 1999 – JJB Stadium, Wigan (Alfred McAlpine)
- 1999 – Canary Wharf underground station, London (Tarmac Construction)
- 1994 – Channel Tunnel (Tarmac Construction and Wimpey Construction)
- 1989 – Saudi Arabian Embassy, London (Tarmac Construction)
- 1988 – Albert Dock refurbishment, Liverpool (Tarmac Construction)
- 1984 – Thames Barrier, London (Tarmac Construction)
- 1963 – Downing Street refurbishment, London (Mowlem)
- 1962 – Fawley Power Station, Southampton (Mitchell Construction Kinnear Moody Group)
- 1958 – Preston Bypass (UK’s first motorway – now the M6) (Tarmac Construction)
- 1947 – House of Commons bomb damage repairs, London (Mowlem)
- 1946 – Heathrow Airport (Wimpey Construction)
- 1930 – Battersea Power Station, London (Mowlem)
- 1891 – Liverpool Street Station, London (Mowlem)
- 1855 – Main Frontage, Buckingham Palace, London (Holland, Hannen and Cubitts)
- 1830 – Covent Garden, London (Holland, Hannen and Cubitts)
The Republic of Ireland
- 2006 – Dublin Port Tunnel, Dublin (Mowlem)
- 1999 – Jack Lynch Tunnel, Cork (Tarmac Construction)
- 1976 – Alvito Dam (Alfred McAlpine)
- 2002 – Copenhagen Metro, Copenhagen (Carillion)
Middle East and North Africa:
- Current – Cairo Festival City, Cairo (Al Futtaim Carillion)
- 1987 – Cairowaste water, Cairo (Tarmac Construction)
- 1981 – Suez Canal road tunnel (Tarmac Construction)
- 1982 – Jeddah Dry Dock, Jeddah (Tarmac Construction)
- 1956 – Hirfanlı Dam, Kırşehir Province (Wimpey Construction)
United Arab Emirates
- 2009 – Yas Marina Hotel, Abu Dhabi (Al Futtaim Carillion)
- 2008 – Intercontinental Hotel, Dubai (Carillion)
- 2004 – MarinaTowers, Dubai (Carillion)
- 1982 – Aluminium Smelter, Dubai (Wimpey Construction)
- Current – The Parliament Building, Muscat (Carillion Alawi)
- 2001 – Grand Mosque, Muscat (Carillion)
- 1987 – Royal Hospital, Muscat (Wimpey Construction)
Central and Southern Africa:
- 1973 – Kariba Dam North Cavern (Mitchell Construction Kinnear Moody Group)
- 1986 – Trans Gabon Railway (Wimpey Construction)
Democratic Republic of Congo
- 1977 – Kananga Airport, Kananga (Wimpey Construction)
- 1977 – Mbuji Mayi Airport, Mbuji Mayi (Wimpey Construction)
- 1977 – Kisangani Airport, Kisangani (Wimpey Construction)
- 1985 – HSBC Tower, Hong Kong (Wimpey Construction)
- 1973 – Kai Tak Airport surfacing, Hong Kong (Wimpey Construction)
- 1968 – Ap Lei Chau Power Station, Hong Kong (Wimpey Construction)
- 1952 – Bank of China Building, Hong Kong (Wimpey Construction)
- 1955 – Kirachi Dry Dock, Kirachi (Wimpey Construction)
British Indian Ocean Territory
- 1987 – Diego Garcia Airport, Diego Garcia (Mowlem)
- 2010 – Sault Area Hospital (Carillion Canada)
- 2007 – Vancouver International Airport Domestic Terminal Expansion (Vanbots Construction)
- 2007 – William Osler Hospital, Ontario (Carillion Canada)
- 2006 – Royal Ottawa Hospital (Carillion Canada)
- 1974 – Majes Irrigation Project (Tarmac Construction)
- 1963 – Furnas Dam (Wimpey Construction)
- 1987 – Military Accommodation, Mount Pleasant Airfield (Wimpey Construction)
- 1987 – Mount Pleasant Airfield (Mowlem)
- 2003 – Alice Springs to Darwin Railway, Northern Territory (Mowlem)
- 1956 – Roxburgh Dam, Roxburgh (Holland, Hannen and Cubitts)