We are proud to be making progress on our sustainability journey that began when Carillion was formed in 1999.
We have built upon our first sustainability policy in 2001, going on to become BITC Company of the Year (2003). Since then we have won a Sunday Times Best Green Companies Award (2008), won and retained the Building Public Trust Award for an unprecedented 3 consecutive years (2013, 2014 and 2015) and achieved global A-list leadership status for climate disclosure and performance (2014 and 2015).
We have also helped over 400 people from disadvantaged groups gain full-time employment through BITC’s Ready for Work programme, won the Opportunity Now Diversity Champion Award for 2015 and are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.
Through ISO 9001 and 14001 accreditations, responsible business index listings and the Investing in Integrity Charter Mark, we have shown we are serious about making tomorrow a better place.
2015 at glance
- £4.6bn Group revenue
- £33.8m profit contribution through sustainability strategy
- 51% reduction in All Accident Frequency Rate (AAFR)
- +36 Net Promoter Score measuring customer satisfaction
- 98A near-perfect score for carbon disclosure through the Carbon Disclosure Project
- 31% reduction of our carbon footprint since 2011 (normalised)
- 94% of waste diverted from landfill
- 40% reduction in operational water use since 2012
- 58% local supplier spend
- Attained Progressive Aboriginal Relations Bronze Award in Canada
- Al Futtaim Carillion and Emrill awarded the Dubai Chamber CSR Label
- Awarded ‘3 Trees’ (highest possible score) in WWF Review of timber procurement
- 1% pre-tax profit donated to community activities
We participate in benchmarking exercises to understand our performance against best practice and be the leader in our industry sector.
We are proud to be listed in leading indices, including the FTSE4Good Index Series and Business in the Community’s Corporate Responsibility Index.
In 2015, Carillion achieved an overall score of 96% and retains a Four Star ranking as one of the highest scoring companies in the integrated support services sector.
The CR Index is a robust benchmarking tool which helps hundreds of companies measure and manage the progress they are making to integrate responsible practices into their mainstream business at all levels.
“Carillion is committed to an integrated and balanced approach to responsible, sustainable operations – which builds a better business, a better environment and a better society – creating net positive impacts in the communities where we work and live.”