We are proud to be making progress on our sustainability journey that began when Carillion was formed in 1999.
We have built upon our first sustainability policy in 2001, going on to become BITC Company of the Year (2003). Since then we have won a Sunday Times Best Green Companies Award (2008), won and retained the Building Public Trust Award for an unprecedented 3 consecutive years (2013, 2014 and 2015) and achieved global A-list leadership status for climate disclosure and performance (2014 and 2015) and leadership status in 2016.
We have also helped over 532 people from disadvantaged groups gain full-time employment through BITC’s Ready for Work programme, are listed in The Times as one of 2016’s Top 50 UK employers for women, and achieved silver in the BITC Gender Diversity Benchmark.
Through ISO 9001 and 14001 accreditations, responsible business index listings, the Investing in Integrity Charter Mark and a Queen’s Award for Sustainable Development, we have shown we are serious about making sustainability shape our competitive future.
2016 at glance
- £5.2bn Group revenue
- £36.1m profit contribution through sustainability strategy
- 55% reduction in All Accident Frequency Rate (AAFR)
- 18% of our leadership population are women
- +22 Net Promoter Score measuring customer satisfaction
- Climate leader for carbon disclosure and performance through the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
- 34% reduction of our carbon footprint since 2011 (normalised)
- 95% of waste diverted from landfill
- 37% reduction in operational water use since 2012
- 55% local supplier spend
- Progressive Aboriginal Relations Bronze Award in Canada
- Arabia CSR Award & Dubai Chamber CSR Label awarded to Al Futtaim Carillion
- Awarded ‘3 Trees’ (highest possible score) in WWF Review of timber procurement
- 1% pre-tax profit donated to community activities
- Engaged 49,771 students by volunteering over 11,000 hours of our time in schools, colleges and universities.
- 88% of our apprentices went on to full-time work
We participate in benchmarking exercises to understand our performance against best practice and be the leader in our industry sector.
We are proud to be listed in leading indices, including the FTSE4Good Index Series, CDP and Business in the Community’s Corporate Responsibility Index.
In 2016, Carillion achieved an overall score of 97% and retains a Four Star ranking as one of the highest scoring companies in the integrated support services sector.
The CR Index is a robust benchmarking tool which helps hundreds of companies measure and manage the progress they are making to integrate responsible practices into their mainstream business at all levels.
“Carillion is committed to an integrated and balanced approach to responsible, sustainable operations – which builds a better business, a better environment and a better society – creating net positive impacts in the communities where we work and live.”