Carillion has achieved an industry first as it has again won the 2015 PwC Building Public Trust Award for the FTSE 250 Sustainability Reporting category – the first company in the FTSE to receive the award for three consecutive years.
Now in their thirteenth year, the awards recognise the achievements of organisations that have differentiated themselves through the clarity and transparency of their reporting. Independently assessed, the review process examines the depth and relevance of sustainability reporting offered throughout the publicly available information provided to stakeholders.
Making the award to Carillion, the judges commented that, “this is outstanding sustainability reporting, easy to engage with and navigate – making a strong case for sustainability throughout.” In particular, they said that Carillion’s reporting had:
• Clearly illustrated that sustainability and core business performance are firmly integrated
• Made a very clear business case for sustainability, quantifying the profit contribution from the sustainability strategy
• Provided a detailed discussion of low-carbon economies
• Disclosed specific and quantifiable Key Performance Indicators and clearly illustrated progress against these targets
• Been transparent around areas where Carillion still had goals to meet
“As the first FTSE 250 company ever to retain this award three years in a row, we are so proud that sustainability comes to life through our people, their actions, commitments, behaviours and impacts. Building trust through our sustainability reporting is fundamental to how we engage with people outside and within our business, so we’ll continue to make sustainability as inspiring as possible for and through them. There is a lot still to tackle as we work to make tomorrow a better place, but our achievements so far have set a firm platform of evidence in place – and we’ll continue to build on that.”
He added: “Trust and responsible business are at the heart of Carillion’s vision to become the leading sustainable integrated support services business.”