Over the past 15 years we have developed a significant presence in the healthcare market, supporting thousands of patients and healthcare professionals on a daily basis, through the hospitals we have built and our facilities management services.
We have the experience and capabilities to provide a comprehensive range of the services needed to create and manage healthcare built infrastructure, from design and construction to lifetime maintenance, facilities management and energy efficiency, as well as being able to raise funding for projects.
In the UK we are a leading provider to the National Health Service and we are associated with some of the country’s largest and most prestigious NHS Trusts who rely on us to deliver services that are critical for the safe care of over three million patients each year.
In Canada we provide maintenance and facilities management services for acute and mental health facilities, in the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) region we are constructing hospital facilities in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), whilst also providing services for a portfolio of polyclinics in the UAE.
We have unrivalled experience in managing critical and complex environments and assets. Our safety and compliance credentials ensure that we play our part in keeping our health care environments safe and in helping our clients meet all regulatory standards.
We provide a wide range of services essential to creating and managing healthcare infrastructure, from design and construction to lifetime maintenance, Integrated Facilities Management, and energy efficiency.
Our services touch patients throughout their hospital experience and make a positive contribution to transforming the patient experience.
- Health Capability Brochure
- Health Review 2015
- Dementia Care
- Patient Dining Brochure
- NHS Sustainability Day 2016 Impact Report
Our healthcare clients trust us with their brands, reputations and their assets, from major acute care centres to mental health facilities.
Some notable facts:
- Our customers spend over £200 million pounds a year with us, making us one of the largest providers of facilities management to the NHS
- We employ and provide development opportunities for around 8,000 dedicated people
- Our engineering teams carry out around 200,000 planned and reactive maintenance tasks to maintain approximately 1 million square metres of space
- The buildings that we are responsible for include 200 operating theatres, 300 critical care beds and just under 11,500 in-patient beds
- Hygiene is a top priority in our kitchens, where we prepare over 18,500 patient meals per day
- Our helpdesks manage over 1.5million calls each year.
Our depth of capability and resources are applied to suit the individual demands of each healthcare facility we support. This tailored approach ensures the best solution for patients, healthcare employees and the community.
- Integrated Facilities Management: we manage a full range of services that deliver consistent and efficient outcomes
- Compliance: we provide the people, systems, processes and expertise to ensure hospitals meet statutory and mandatory compliance standards
- Projects: minor works, lifecycle replacement, extensions, new builds, energy efficiency schemes
- Customer Experience Centre (CEC): provides highly knowledgeable and dedicated teams based in Sheffield who support our clients 24/7, 365 days a year
- Supply chain management.
We are proud that:
- We are a leader of sustainability in healthcare
- We have developed a Dementia Care programme at our facilities
- We are the only provider in the NHS to win Gold accreditation from the Soil Association in successive years
- No hospital wards have been closed due to infection outbreaks at the Queen Alexandra, Portsmouth, for almost six years.
Our sustainability credentials are market leading: from embedding sustainability at design stage through to construction and subsequent operation.
We have long-term relationships with our customers, with the majority of our employees living in the communities where we deliver services.
We have a strong community agenda. We believe it makes business sense to enhance employment prospects for the disadvantaged and hard-to-reach in our communities as well as reducing waste and carbon emissions.
We continue to support the NHS with its Sustainability Day campaign, providing thought leadership and examples of best practice as well as communications support to the campaign.
Carillion works with dementia care teams at each healthcare facility. This has allowed us to develop a Dementia Care programme that is implemented to meet the local needs of each hospital.
Carillion staff are given awareness training in communicating and interacting with dementia sufferers and engaging with their relatives. We have introduced coloured crockery to help patients differentiate food, resulting in 30% less food wastage. More manageable coloured beakers and half size jugs allow patients to confidently pour their own drinks.
The creation of sensory blankets by our on site laundry teams also provides a unique tactile and stimulating experience for this patient group.
We are associated with some of the most prestigious healthcare organisations in the UK, Canada and MENA.
In Canada we provide maintenance and facilities management services to seven acute and mental health facilities, with a further two sites coming online when construction is complete in 2018.
In the MENA region, we are constructing hospital facilities in Saudi Arabia and UAE. Also, in UAE we have advised on the provision of services as well as providing for a portfolio of polyclinics.
NHS Sustainability Day 2016
For a third consecutive year, Carillion is delighted to announce its partnership with Barts Health NHS Trust and 4 all of us Social Enterprise to support the NHS Sustainability Day 2016 campaign.
The campaign is aimed at sharing learning and spreading innovative sustainability practices across the NHS and wider healthcare space. More details of the campaign can be found at www.nhssustainabilityday.co.uk.